This dish is a vegan take on a traditional Mexican casserole; but only better. It has been adapted into a hearty dish with plant based protein & loads of fiber and nutrients from the beans and vegetables. This casserole can be served on its own or over top mixed greens or rice. It’s a flavorful, easy and delicious meal that will satisfy even the pickiest of eaters in your home.
I am always evaluating a dish against a nutritional density that is complimentary of the calories, and this dish would be a great example of that. It is very heavy in protein, fiber, and is well rounded in diverse vegetables. Additionally, it will store well in the refrigerator or freezer (pre-cooked, of course) and can be used in a variety of ways. My toddlers both enjoy this rolled into a hard shell taco while I prefer it all on its own!
Two Bean Burrito Bake
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp gluten free flour
- 8 oz can of tomato sauce
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 can of drained black beans
- 1 can of drained garbanzo beans/chickpeas
- 2 chopped bell peppers red, orange, or yellow
- 2 chopped jalapeños remove the seeds
- 1 can of drained corn
- 1 chopped red onion
- 6 gluten free/corn tortillas
- 2 cups vegan cheese cheddar
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Coat or the casserole dish with olive oil.
- Over medium heat, add 1 tbsp of olive oil olive oil and flour. Then, add the tomato sauce, vegetable broth, and spices. Stir until the mixture thickens
- In a large mixing bowl combine the black beans, garbanzo beans, corn, chopped red peppers, chopped onion, and chopped jalapeños. Mix well to combine and set aside
- Coat the bottom of the casserole dish with the tomato sauce, about 2 tablespoons, and then add half of the slices of tortilla strips.
- Add in half of the bean and vegetable mixture and top, along with half of the remaining tomato sauce. Top with 1 cup of cheese
- Add the remaining tortilla slices to the top layer of cheese and cover with remaining bean mixture and tomato sauce. Spread the remaining cheese to cover the top of the dish.
- Bake for 20 minutes and serve warm. Enjoy!