This sauce is not only a delicious and protein heavy cheesy sauce, but it’s very healthy. It’s constructed from cannellini beans, nutritional yeast, nut milk, garlic and tahini and can be used as cheese sauce or as a dipping sauce.
I’ve frequently struggled to boil or soak cashews to create a cheesy sauce; it was always an expensive and frustrating process. I worked to develop this recipe to reduce calories and diversify the nutritional profile. Turns out, it tastes even better!
Bonus – depending on the milk you choose, this recipe could also be nut-free!
Cheesy Sauce – Vegan Friendly
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 can cannellini beans
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 3/4 cup nut or nondairy milk – unsweetened I used Good Karma Flax + Protein
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp tahini
- 1 tsp salt
- Dice the onion and sautee with garlic cloves in olive oil for 5 minutes
- Add in the nondairy milk, nutritional years, tahini and salt. Simmer for an additional 5 minutes
- Transfer to a blender and blend on high until smooth. Serve warm or store in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Enjoy!