A healthy, vegetable and protein loaded breakfast to get you on your way. This recipe is 100% plant based, vegan, dairy free, gluten free, and is suitable for most diets. Savory, satisfying and healthy; what more could you need?
Tofu, which is also called bean curd, is an amazing source of protein as it contains all nine essential amino acids. Just one serving has 10g of plant protein, as well as high levels of B1, iron, calcium, manganese, magnesium, copper selenium and phosphorous. In addition, tofu helps lower LDL cholesterol, decreases risk of cardiovascular diseases, and contains genistein ( an isoflavone) that has antioxidant properties that can protect against cancer.
The spices and vegetables in this stir fry offer a multitude of additional health benefits, but in the context of breakfast; it’s simply delicious. Feel free to add leftover vegetables from the night before or a side of homemade home fries. Either way, you are going to love it.
Let me know what you think in the comments below!
Savory Southwest Tofu Scramble
- 1 block firm tofu
- 1 tsp avocado oil
- 1/2 sweet or yellow onion, sliced
- 2 red, yellow, or orange bell peppers, sliced
- 16 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- dash water
- *optional sides: guacamole, ketchup, cilantro, sriracha, salsa
- Remove the tofu and wrap in a paper towel, place something heavy on top of it for 10 minutes OR hold it in your hands over the sink and squeeze until most of the water has poured out of it.
- Over medium/high heat, warm up a cast iron skillet or sauté pan with a cooking oil, like avocado oil. While heating, slice the vegetables.
- Once heated, add the mushroom, onion and peppers and cook for 5 minutes, stirring repeatedly.
- Add the kale and place a lid over top of the pan, steaming for 3 to 4 minutes.
- In another pan (or on one side of the same pan, moving the vegetables over to the side), add the tofu and mash it into crumbles with a wooden spoon or spatula. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Finally, create the sauce by combing the spices and a dash of water in a small bowl. Mix and then pour over the tofu. Stir the tofu to fold in the sauce then stir the tofu into the vegetable mixture. Cook for an additional 5 minutes and remove from heat.
- Serve with your favorite toppings: guacamole, ketchup, cilantro, sriracha, salsa etc. Enjoy!