A delicious vegetable fried rice dish made healthfully in an air fryer. This recipe boasts a savory profile with a hint of spice and a whole lot of crunch that makes it feel like a big time cheat meal.
Air fryers have taken the world by storm this year. This method of frying is much healthier than deep frying as you are not using highly caloric oils to create the crispiness in air fried foods. Air fryers circulate hot air to evenly distribute heating which allows it to cook food appropriately from all angles.
Quick note on air fryers* While this is a safer method to “fry” food, we wouldn’t recommend that you do this every single day, it’s still important to have a well balanced plate of raw foods, steamed foods, and baked foods. Additionally, air frying may be a healthier alternative, but you need to keep in mind what you are air frying. It’s very tempting to make french fries for dinner every night, but you should always keep in mind that potatoes are extremely starchy and caloric and are wildly over consumed by this nation.
Okay, let’s talk about this fried rice. IT’S SO GOOD. I used brown rice, since it’s a whole grain, and a simple mixtures of vegetables, sesame seeds, and light oil to achieve this well balanced dish.
Edamame serves as an amazing source of plant protein and many other valuable nutrients. Once cup of shelled edamame has 18g of complete protein (meaning that is has all essential amino acids that people need & don’t create within the body) as well as 120% RDA for folate and very high levels of vitamin K, iron, calcium, and vitamin C. Rounded out with sesame seeds and carrots, this dish is loaded with nutrition as well as taste.
Additionally, sesame seeds are loaded to the brim with nutrition. We always recommend adding them to your food here and there as they are tasty, shelf stable, and have a lot of nutrition. Sesame seeds are a great way for dairy free people to squeeze in some additional calcium. They are also an amazing source of calcium, copper, manganese, phosphorus, magnesium, iron, zinc, and fiber!
This meal is simply delicious. Leave us a message in the comments to let us know what you think!
Vegetable Fried Rice (with an Air Fryer)
- air fryer
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- pinch salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp sriracha
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup edamame
- 1/2 cup carrots
- First, cook the brown rice per the package instructions. If using precooked rice, skip this step
- Next, add the olive oil and sesame oil. Add in a pinch of salt and pepper to taste and fold into the rice
- Add the rice to a tin or glass cooking bowl (or another air fryer friendly cooking bowl)
- Put the bowl inside the air fryer and cook at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, carefully stirring once or twice as it cooks
- While the rice is cooking, mix the the sriracha, soy sauce, and 1 tsp of the sesame seeds
- Once the rice is done cooking, add the edamame and carrots and stir into the rice to distribute. Return to the air fryer and cook for an additional 3 minutes
- Remove the air fried rice and toss with the sauce. Garnish with the remaining sesame seeds and serve immediately!