Wait! Don’t throw away the old bananas. Oh so delicious, this Healthy Banana Nut Bread recipe only needs minimal healthy ingredients and some old browning bananas. With no eggs, no refined sugars and grains, no milk, this recipe makes one kick ass loaf of delicious banana bread for your hungry kids, dinner guests, and everyone in between.
We buy a lot of bananas in this house; they are an awesome mid day snack for the short and crazy ones in our home. Buying a lot of bananas also means that we usually have a few ugly brown ones in the fruit basket by the end of the week. I hate to waste perfectly good food, so making banana bread is just an obvious decision.
I have tweaked this recipe over the years to try to find a balance between being truly delicious and being healthy. Many banana bread recipes have over 1 1/2 cups of added sugar, eggs, milk, and other things that tilt the scales towards unhealthy dessert. Not this recipe! Made from whole grains, bananas, walnuts, extra virgin olive oil, flax, chia, spices and a minimal amount of maple syrup, this recipe is guilt free, clean, and brings a great amount of fiber, plant based protein, omega 3s and potassium to your day.
Healthy Banana Nut Bread (Vegan, Gluten Free, Dairy Free)
- 3 bananas over ripe
- 2 cups whole wheat flour or gluten free all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup ground flax
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Grease a 9x5 loaf pan and preheat the oven to 350.
- In a large bowl, smash the over ripe bananas with a spoon or a potato masher. Next add the dry ingredients: whole wheat flour, flax, chia, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda. Mix well to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients: olive oil, vanilla, and maple syrup. Mix well. Add in the chopped walnuts and mix again.
- Take the mixture and scoop it into the loaf pan. take a spoon and spread the top of the mixture to fill in the corners and level out the top.
- Place in the oven and cook for 50 minutes. Let it sit for 10 minutes before removing it from the pan. Slice into 1 inch pieces and serve warm!