I always make this decadent breakfast dish when we have family and friends visiting with us, but it also makes an awesome make-ahead breakfast for the week. Naturally vegan, gluten free, dairy free, and made with super healthy ingredients, this bake tastes like an apple pie and is one meal that you will certainly look forward to. It is also highly addictive, so consider yourself warned.
Made with rolled oats, you are beginning your day with a nutritional superstar. Whole grain oats are extremely high in many vitamins and minerals like manganese, magnesium, copper, phosphorous, zinc, iron, folate, B vitamins (B1, B5) and contain a series of other nutrients in smaller doses. Oatmeal also contains beta-glucan, a type of soluble fiber, that naturally lowers LDL cholesterol, regulates blood sugar, and improves gut health. Oatmeal also slows down the emptying of your stomach which promotes a feeling of satiety (aka, it’s great for weight loss).
This recipe also includes apples and walnuts which are also highly nutritious foods. Apples are high in antioxidants, fiber, Vitamin C and potassium, which make these fruits a very healthful addition to your breakfast. Walnuts contain more polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) than most other nuts; they are high in ALA omega 3’s and linoleic acid, an omega 6. Walnuts are also high in phosphorous, copper, folate, managese, B6, and Vitamin E.
Enough of the nutrition, as exciting as it is. This dish is actually ridiculously delicious and flavorful I love serving it with a dollop of coconut cream (versus a heavily processed whipped cream). Try baking it ahead of having weekend guests for an easy Saturday morning breakfast or make it on a Sunday night and consider your breakfast cooked for the week! Either way, enjoy it!
Apple Pie Baked Oatmeal (Vegan, GF, Dairy Free)
- 4 cups rolled oats
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp apple pie spice or pumpkin spice
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 cups organic soy milk, unsweetened or another plant based milk of your choosing
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 medium apples, peeled and chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 can coconut cream optional!
- Preheat the oven to 375. In a large bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients and stir to combine
- In a separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients together. Grease a casserole dish with extra virgin olive oil and add the wet and dry ingredients, mixing until evenly combined
- Fold in the chopped and peeled apples, mixing well. Bake uncovered for 40 minutes
- Once baked, remove from the oven and top with chopped walnuts or pecans. Serve warm with a dollop of coconut cream (optional). Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.